Consumer Information Frequently Asked Questions


The North Carolina Office of the Commissioner of Banks (NCCOB) charters, licenses and regulates a variety of financial institutions within the State. Answers to many of your questions and concerns are below.  If you still need assistance, please call our office at 919-733-3016 or visit Consumer Inquiries and Complaint Information, and we will be happy to assist you.

NCCOB’s complaint process facilitates communication between consumers and regulated entities. If you are not satisfied with the company’s response, you may wish to consult with an attorney or pursue other remedies. NCCOB cannot give legal advice or provide legal representation to consumers. See below for more detailed information.

What type of financial service businesses does the N.C. Office of the Commissioner of Banks ("NCCOB") regulate?

NCCOB regulates the following providers of financial services to North Carolina residents:

I can’t find the bank that I have a complaint against under “Who We Regulate.” How do I find out who regulates my bank?

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) may help you find the regulator for your bank.

Where can I get assistance if the NCCOB does not regulate the company or bank I am complaining about?

If you have a complaint against a company or bank that is not regulated by our office, NCCOB will assist you with locating the appropriate regulator.

What should I do if I have a problem with a company regulated by NCCOB?

First, contact the company and make a good-faith effort to settle the dispute. Depending on the problem and the company, you may need to speak to more than one person - try to be patient and fair. If your contact is by telephone, keep a record of the date(s) and time(s) of your calls. Try to get the name and telephone number of the person with whom you speak. If you write, whether by letter or email, keep copies and the originals of any documents you send.

If you can't resolve the issue, you may contact NCCOB or file a complaint with our office.

What information should I include when I file a complaint?

Complete all requested information on the Complaint Form, if possible. Explain the problem in your own words, but try to be brief. Please be sure to include any account or loan numbers. Send copies of any papers, documents or letters you think will help us understand your complaint. Do not send original checks, statements or other documents. You may forward additional documents to our office via fax at: 919-733-6918.

How can NCCOB help?

We will review your complaint and forward it to the company for a response. Once the response is received, it will be reviewed by our staff and a copy will be forwarded to you. For complaints processed by our agency against regulated entities, we will:

  • review and evaluate your complaint and gather necessary facts and documents
  • receive and evaluate the company's explanation
  • provide you with a copy of the company's response
  • recommend you consult a qualified attorney regarding the possibility of legal action if you are not satisfied with the company’s response (see below for referral information)

Will NCCOB always be able to resolve my problem?

No. Although NCCOB facilitates communication between you and the regulated entity, we cannot guarantee results. Some complaints result from honest disputes over what was said or done by you or a company representative. Also, some complaints result from a company's internal business policies, which may not be governed by state or federal laws or regulations. If you are not satisfied with the company’s response, you are free to pursue other remedies, including consultation with an attorney.

Can NCCOB provide legal advice or represent me in a case against a regulated entity?

NCCOB can help facilitate communication between you and the regulated entity; however, we cannot provide legal advice or legal representation.

Can you find an attorney to represent me?

NCCOB cannot recommend individual attorneys.  You may contact a real estate attorney for assistance. The North Carolina Bar Association offers a Lawyer Referral Service. You may contact them at 919-677-8574 or through the NC Bar Association website.

I am facing foreclosure. Can the NCCOB stop or postpone a foreclosure? Where can I find more information?

The NCCOB has no jurisdiction over foreclosure and therefore, cannot stop or postpone a foreclosure. You may wish to consult with an attorney. The North Carolina Housing Finance Agency (NCHFA) runs the State Home Foreclosure Prevention Project and may be able to provide assistance to homeowners who are struggling with their mortgage. Do not hesitate to ask for help.

How do I know that my money in my bank is safe?

All banks regulated by NCCOB are insured by the FDIC. For more information, please visit Is My Money Safe?

Can banks charge a fee for cashing a check that is written on that particular Bank?

Yes, banks may charge fees for services rendered to non-depositors.

Where can I find more general information about buying a home?

Go to the North Carolina Housing Finance Agency or Consumer Financial Protection Bureau links to access information about buying a home.

Does NCCOB regulate Debt Adjusters?

No, but pursuant to NCGS 14-426(7)g, NCCOB approves accrediting organizations that are independent and nationally recognized for providing accreditation to organizations that provide credit counseling and debt management services. The NC Department of Justice provides helpful advice and complaint assistance. The following organizations have been approved by NCCOB:

How do I contact NCCOB?

Call NCCOB at 919-733-3016 or More options are listed on the Contact Information page.